Massachusetts Democrats believe in a judicial system that is unbiased and accessible to all, protects the rights of all parties, does not discriminate based on race, national origin, immigration status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or income level.
Massachusetts Democrats support:
- Criminal justice reform to end mass incarceration and the racially disproportionate population of prisoners who are African-American or Latino.
- Repealing all mandatory minimum sentences for non-violent crimes, including all drug crimes.
- Elimination of militarized vehicles acquired by our police departments.
- Calling on our attorney general to create an independent commission to investigate every police shooting.
- Promoting jail diversion programs, and implement policies to assist non-violent criminals find work.
- The belief that tearing families apart, due to their residency status, destroys our communities and we will not work with any federal department which attempts to do so.
- The belief that individual municipalities have the right to determine who can vote in local elections.
- To end the use of private, for-profit prisons; also include: mandatory de-escalation training for police forces, to protect the mentally ill and other vulnerable populations.
- Making civics a required subject in high school.