Mission Statement – The ORMA Political Action and Civic Engagement Committee (PACE) is responsible for helping ORMA affiliates and members take action in political and civic arenas to fight for progressive change. Our vision is that political and economic systems must be more responsive to the broadest base of the American People (the 99%) and not to the big corporations or the billionaires. Consistent with priorities established by the ORMA membership, the PACE Committee develops and supports strategies for engaging in legislative, political, and organizing activities for change.
Committee Foci – The PACE Committee is engaged in three main task areas:
1. Transformation of the Democratic Party
2. Political education and the advancement of political consciousness/awareness
3. Legislative and issues advocacy
We are looking for people to join the PACE Committee who want to be actively engaged in Democratic Party politics, public political education, legislative lobbying, and other forms of direct action relating to ORMA priority issues and campaigns, and in support of organizational allies and partners. The PACE Committee needs people interested in working with other ORMA members around the issue of how to engage in influencing governance of boards, commissions, elected bodies, and other civic organizations, and to help build coalitions to support issue-based and electoral campaigns. PACE shares responsibility for helping ORMA affiliates and members take action in political and civic institutions and fight for progressive change, progressive legislation, and progressive candidates at all levels of government.
The PACE Committee is actively recruiting new members to help with our various initiatives. http://ourrevolutionma.com/volunteer/
1. #DemTransform Subcommittee – Consistent with priorities established by the ORMA membership, the PACE #DemTransform Subcommittee develops and supports strategies for engaging in organizing activities and for expanding ORMA engagement and power as a progressive change agent within the Democratic Party at the local, regional, and state levels, and develops and executes strategies to transform the Massachusetts Democratic Party to support the ideals and programs being advanced by ORMA members and affiliates. Members of local Democratic town committees can help PACE with grassroots efforts to lead the state Democratic Party to a more progressive stance and to promote ORMA supported legislative and social action initiatives. For a deeper dive into the Massachusetts Democratic Party see: https://massdems.org/your-party/party-documents/
2. Political Education – Our responsibility is to create a plan for greater active political education and engagement of membership and the voting public. Our approach:
Work with affiliates to disseminate existing materials focused on ORMA’s Priority issues, and assist in developing new materials where needed.
Plan and support public education events to raise political consciousness.
Disseminate information to ORMA members about the many opportunities for local engagement beyond the electoral realm and about the importance of local boards, committees, and commissions that often set the context for local political debates, and determine whether progressive ideas are even on the table for discussion.
3. Legislative and Issues Advocacy Team – LIA is the central gathering place where news of current progressive legislative issues and advocacy proposals is shared with the ORMA membership and the public. The LIA Team functions to build and exercise political influence through support for specific legislative, electoral, and social action initiatives. In this regard, LIA develops connections and coordinates work with allied organizations, including maintaining contact lists.
LIA’s main issues and legislative foci at this time are the five ORMA priorities. You can learn more about these priority issues and about current opportunities for action and engagement here:
Climate Change / Green New Deal
Medicare for All
Money out of Politics / End Citizens United
LIA is also strongly committed in solidarity with our indigenous sisters and brothers in the struggle to protect their sovereignty and identity and to protect our shared planet environmentally. In this regard we urge member awareness and support in recognition of the severe burdens faced by all of our living brothers and sisters.
PACE could use more members! We welcome ideas, energy, and engagement to help us plan and implement actions which will lead to the accomplishment of ORMA’s revolutionary goals.
To join the PACE committee, or to contact the committee with questions and comments, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
And, of course, if you have a relationship with allied organizations, please help us establish links between ORMA and those organizations.
Committee Chairs: Steve Garone
Democratic Party Transformation Task Force: Steve Garone and Michael Gilbreath
Legislative Initiatives and Advocacy: Bruce Taub
Political Education/Action Task Force: open
Meetings – Third Monday of the month, 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/6257857